V4 Gen 2 is Here
We’re excited to introduce the VANGUARD AUDIO LABS V4 Gen2!
The impact of 2020, the year of uncertainty, was felt in a number of ways by Vanguard Audio Labs, including its effect on our supply-chain partners. Some of their key suppliers became unreliable or shut down altogether. This forced them to seek out new sources and partners. Their new key supply chain partner has only one other client besides them, it’s some fruit company from Cupertino …
Vanguard Audio Labs took this opportunity to upgrade not only their supply chain, but the current mic line-up as well. From day one at Vanguard Audio Labs, they have always been seeking ways to improve our products and they always will … that is part of their mission. As a result, they have upgraded nearly all of the key signal-path components to audiophile-grade parts, sourced from American parts manufacturers.These upgrades have netted them a lower signal-to-noise ratio (even though we already had a superb reputation for low noise mics), and vastly improved sound staging. They even improved the fit and finish of the final product, so not only are they world-class performers, but they look damn good while they’re doing it!
The design team at Vanguard Audio Labs has worked very long and hard this last year to implement these exciting improvements and they are proud to release these new creations!
The V4 was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. We perform 100% quality control – every single piece of your microphone kit undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual tests in Southern California before being hand-packed.
Every part of the V4 was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were over-spec’d. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical electronic components. Stainless steel, aluminum, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty construction. Every Vanguard microphone is backed by our FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY.
Vanguard run every one of their microphones through a series of tests to ensure that they meet our standards, and they strongly feel that any pair of V4s will match each other close enough for any critical recording applications.
Vanguard designed the V4 with certain characteristics of classic FET microphones in mind, while also utilizing modern technology & design to meet the demands of today’s recording professionals. Their ultra-thin 3µm edge-terminated capsule diaphragms are extraordinarily sensitive, ensuring that every nuance and detail of the performance is faithfully captured.
Vanguard Audio Labs heard from a number of Vanguard V44S users that they loved the clean and full character of the V44S so much as an alternative to their V13 and V1 microphones, they wanted a small “mono” version of the V44S for travel purposes. The signal and power paths of the V4 are identical to a single channel of the V44S, but because we had space for an extra switch, they couldn’t resist adding a simple -10/-20dB pad option.
After hundreds of hours of listening with world-renowned engineers in environments ranging from fully-equipped major studios to bootstrapped home setups, they can confidently say that this microphone will vastly exceed the performance of other microphones in its price range, and rival the performance of microphones costing several times more.
The VANGUARD V4 is very different from other microphones in its price range. It is designed and precision-built in limited quantities to “no-compromise” standards, with final assembly and 100% testing here in Southern California. We feel that the sensitive nature of microphones requires a high-standards, no-holds-barred test battery to ensure that they’d be proud to use EVERY microphone that leaves their shop on their own records.
They started with an extra-large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered 3µm Mylar dual-capsule assembly and custom-voiced it with a proprietary hand-tuning process. The capsule is mounted in an open-weave headbasket for a natural sound with low internal reflections.
Vanguard then designed a transformerless solid-state circuit that matches the unique musical properties of their capsules and loaded it with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers around the world, including Germany, Japan, and the USA. We deep-cycle cryogenically treat critical components in the signal & power paths, including an ultra-high-grade FET that is many times more expensive than the standard transistor you’ll find in most sub-$600 microphones. As one of the most critical components in the signal path, Vanguard tested several premium-grade transistors before choosing this particular model, an American-made audiophile-grade transistor yielding results that are significant & audible improvements in audio quality, headroom, distortion, sound-stage and noise floor vs. standard-grade JFET transistors. Neutrik® interconnects complete the signal path for the best possible sonic preservation.
Aesthetically, the precision-machined stainless steel body is coated with Vanguard's signature Pinot Noir, finished with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard badge. Your V4’s serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone.
The V4 was designed by a team of experts with more than a century of experience and vetted by award-winning engineers and producers.
Capsule & Electronics
• Custom-voiced, edge-terminated 34mm dual-capsule assembly with 3µm gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
• 3 selectable polar patterns – Cardioid, Figure-8, Omnidirectional
• Switchable-10/-20 dB Attenuator
• Electronically-balanced solid-state circuitry loaded with American-made audiophile-grade components
• Ultra-low-noise JFET design
• Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal & power path components
• Neutrik® interconnects
• Heavy-duty SUS304 stainless steel, aircraft-grade aluminum, and zinc construction
• Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and “open-air” voicing
• Each V4 comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
• Over-spec componentry
• Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
• Polished nickel trim
• Precision-cast Vanguard badge
• Final Assembly & 100% Quality Control in California, USA
• 5-Year Warranty
• Exquisite deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
• Polished nickel trim
• Precision-cast Vanguard badge
• Laser-etched model and serial numbers
• Transducer Type: Condenser
• Capsule Size: 1.34″ / 34mm (dual-capsule)
• Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
• Capsule Diaphragms Thickness: 3µm
• Electronics Type: Solid-state, electronically-balanced output
• Output Impedance: 200Ω
• Max SPL: appx. 135dB (145dB w/ Pad)
• Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
• Equivalent Noise Level: ≤12dBA (A-weighted)
• Sensitivity:≥82dBA (A-weighted)
• Output Connector: Neutrik® male XLR 3-pin, gold-plated
• Attenuation/Pad Switch: -10dB/ -20dB (switchable)
• Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
• Weight (microphone): 0.83 lbs / 0.38 kg
• Weight (in case): 5.63 lbs / 2.56 kg
• Dimensions (microphone): 8.2″ long, 2.05″ diameter / 208mm long, 52mm diameter
• Dimensions (case): 12″L x 11″W x 5.75″H / 305mmL x 280mmW x 146mmH
• Voltage Requirement: Phantom Power (+48V ideal)
When you buy a V4, you also get a VLSM Heavy-Duty Shockmount. We wanted to rethink the standard “spider-style” shockmount of old, and designed the VLSM with a few nifty features. First is the open front, which allows you to position the microphone as close to the source as necessary. Second, we install aerospace-grade suspension rings that won’t break, sag, crack, or stretch over time. This shockmount was designed to fit any microphone with M22x1 threading, so you also can use it with a number of microphones from other manufacturers.
When not in use, your V4 should be stored in its padded pinewood box.
• VLSM Large Shockmount
• Padded Pinewood Microphone Storage Box
• Aluminum Carrying Case