As with the other 500 Series modules on this range, the signal path is True Class A with a Lundahl output transformer. The Tonic has a big grunty sound with stacks of headroom making it an excellent tracking equalizer and a perfect partner to our Elixir mic preamp. Add an Essence compressor and you have a complete Buzz Audio channel strip!
The low band and high band have center detent pots for +/-15dB of boost/cut range. Toggle switches select bell or shelf mode on these bands. The low band turnover frequency can be selected to 60Hz or 120Hz and the high band 5kHz or 11kHz. The mid band frequency range of 75Hz to 11.5kHz is selected with a x1/x10 range switch. A switch for wide or narrow bandwidth (Q) selection and a center detent pot sets the mid +/-15db boost/cut range. Additional toggles for Bypassing the module and engaging the High Pass Filter and a Peak level LED complete the picture.
The Tonic module will physically fit into all 500 Series racks, but it should be noted the current draw is 120mA, which is higher than most other 500 Series modules. This should not be an issue with most modern racks, but with older 500 Series racks it may mean only one or two Tonics should be fitted along with other modules. If in doubt please feel free to contact us, we are happy to help.
• Maximum Input Level = +23dBu
• Maximum Output Level = +26dBu into 3k ohm load.
• Frequency Response EQ set flat = 17Hz to 175kHz (+1dB, -3dB).
• Harmonic Distortion Measured +10dBu output level = 0.08% @ 100Hz, 0.02% @ 1kHz, 0.005% @ 10kHz
• Signal to Noise Ratio = -88dB A wtg, input shorted.
• Input Impedance = 20k ohms approx balanced
• Indicators: Single LED overload indicator
• Size: Fits 1 space in API* 500 series rack format
• Power requirements: 120mA +/- 15-18 volts DC, as supplied by frame power supply.
Specifications are typical of a production unit and are subject to change without notice. 0dBu reference = 0.775 volts RMS