The BDA4, transformer coupled, 4-channel digital-to-analog converter Daughter Card for the B80 and B16 MOTHERSHIP is the result of over 25 years of R&D experience in pro audio digital and analog design. Following on the success of the B2 BOMBER DAC and the BDA8 for the MOTHERSHIP, the BDA4 utilizes the newly developed BOPA14 with BURL Audio’s NextGen Analog. The BOPA14 is followed by the renowned BX5 output transformer used in the B32 VANCOUVER MIX BUS.
The new BOPA14 with BURL NextGen Analog is the result of hundreds of hours of listening tests. It boasts stunning clarity and definition and raises the bar of excellence in pro audio analog electronics fidelity. The BOPA14 is an all discrete, class-A op-amp with a minimal number of transistors. If you thought the original BOPA4 sounded good, this new analog design will blow your mind with tighter bass and higher definition throughout the audio spectrum.
The BURL BX5 output transformer is the same large, BURLY beast used in BURL Audio’s renowned B32 VANCOUVER MIX BUS. Anyone who has tried B32 for the first time and engages the BX5 usually says “WHOA! That’s amazing!”. Forget about technical jargon, the BX5 transformer simply makes things sound bigger, phatter, deeper…better.
Coupling the BOPA14 with the BX5 and you have sound that is truly HUGE! Kick, Snare, Bass, Guitar, Vocals, Mix… you name it, it will sound bigger, better and more pleasing.
For years, engineers have taken their fully digital projects and run them through a 2-track analog tape machine to make them sound “less digital”. The BDA4 with the BX5 output transformer routed to a BAD8 or BAD4 with the BX1 input transformer does something very similar, but better, in that there is no tape hiss and there is higher dynamic range and more headroom.
On the digital side, the BDA4 employs a couple of new features; a switchable DAC filter and AVID delay matching. Switching the DAC filter allows you to change the tone from the classic BURL sound to a more aggressive tone with a more forward mid-range. The AVID delay matching allows you to perfectly match the output delay of an AVID IO which is crucial for hardware inserts.
If you already own a B80 MOTHERSHIP or if you are buying a new B16 or B80 MOTHERSHIP, the BDA4 is awesome by itself or as a compliment to the super clear BDA8. Adding even just one BDA4 to your MOTHERSHIP will be a big step up. The BDA4 is truly BURLY.
Burl Audio BDA4M is available in 3 different versions :
• BDA4M-1111 : Mastering Grade 4-channel DAC card for B16 / B80 with Switchable BX5 output transformer, NextGen BOPA11 proprietary op-amp, front panel attenuation.
• BDA4M-1114 : Mastering Grade 4-channel DAC card for B16 / B80 with Switchable BX5 output transformer, NextGen BOPA11 (ch. 1/2) and BOPA14 (ch. 3/4) proprietary op-amp, front panel attenuation.
• BDA4M-1414 : Mastering Grade 4-channel DAC card for B16 / B80 with Switchable BX5 output transformer, NextGen BOPA14 proprietary op-amp, front panel attenuation.
• 4-channel MIX / MASTERING DAC
• Switchable BX5 output transformers
• BURL NextGen BOPA14 OP-AMP
• B2 DAC stepped attenuator
• All class-A, discrete signal path